“Kilcooly”, a parish, in the barony of Slievardagh, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 5 miles (S.) from Johnstown; containing, with the town of New Birmingham, 3667 inhabitants. The parish comprises 9052 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Crown. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gurtnahoe, or Fennor, and has a chapel at New Birmingham. There is also a meeting house for Wesleyan Methodists. About 280 children are educated in two public schools. There are some ruins of the castle of Grange.
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
“Fertagh”, or Fartagh, a parish, partly in the barony of Cranagh, but chiefly in that of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 8 mile (S. W.) from Durrow, on the mail coach road from Athy to Cashel; containing, with the post-town of Johnstown, 3205 inhabitants. A priory for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine was founded here in the 13th century by the Blanchfield family, which after its dissolution, was granted by Queen Elizabeth to a member of the Butler family. The ancient chapel is still remaining, and contains a large table monument with the recumbent figure of a warrior. A few yards to the west of this building are the roofless remains of an ancient round tower, still 96 feet high and cracked from the doorway to the summit. The parish comprises 6353 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
LittletonThe principal seats are Violet Hill, Melross and Ellenville, all of the Hely family. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house was erected in 1828; and there is a glebe. Inthe R. C. divisions the parish also it is part of the union or district of Eirke; there is a chapel at Johnstown, and another at Galmoy. About 120 girls are taught in the parochial school, and there are four private schools, in which are about 380 children. Here are the ruins of the castle of Killesheelan. The Ballyspellan spa, in this parish, is a powerful chalybeate, and is in great repute for its medicinal properties.
KILCOOLEY UNION WITH FERTAGH
Littleton Church: (MP) 9.00 a.m.
Fertagh Church: (HC) 10.15 a.m.
Crohane Church:(MP) 10.15 a.m.
Kilcooley Church: (HC) 11.30 a.m.
Littleton Church: 9.00 a.m. (HC)
Fertagh Church: 10.15 a.m. (MP)
Crohane Church: 10.15 a.m. (HC)
Kilcooley Church: 11.30 a.m. (MP)
Crohane Church: 9.00 a.m. (MP)
Kilcooley Church: 10.15 a.m. (HC)
Littleton Church: 10.15 a.m. (MP)
Fertagh Church: 11.30 a.m. (HC)
Crohane Church: 9.00 a.m. (HC)
Kilcooley Church: 10.15 a.m. (MP)
Littleton Church: 10.15 a.m. (HC)
Fertagh Church: 11.30 a.m. (MP)
11 a.m. United Family Service of the Word (rotates from church to church)
Rector: Rev. Victor Fitzpatrick
View Dioceses of Cashel, Ferns & Ossory in a larger map