The Cathedral Church of St. Edan is situated in Ferns, the ancient capital of Leinster and has strong links with St. David’s of the Church in Wales.
The Dean Writes
“Christian witness came to Ferns over 1400 years ago. St. Edan (Aidan) came to Ferns in c.600ad. There has been a “stone” church on the site since the 8th century. The original medieval cathedral was built by Bishop St. John in the 1230’s. This was burnt down in Elizabethan times and only a small portion of the ruins remain. Although Queen Elizabeth ordered it rebuilt only a section of the nave was restored. This was subsequently rebuilt again in the 1800’s.
King Dermot MacMurrough is buried close by the adjoining grave yard and adjacent to the ruins of St. Mary’s Augustinian Abbey.”
St. Edan’s Cathedral is open daily to Visitors.
DEAN: The Very Reverend Dr Paul Mooney
View Dioceses of Cashel, Ferns & Ossory in a larger map