Carlow Union of Parishes is a Union of three churches, in North County Carlow, in the Diocese of Leighlin.
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/carlowunion
CARLOW UNION– Service times and EIRCODES
Staplestown Church: 9.30 a.m.
St Mary’s Church, Carlow: 10.45 a.m.
Rutland Church, Urglin: 12.00
Fifth Sunday: varies
Church of Ireland Community House (in front of St Mary’s)
Assistant priest: The Reverend Ger James (Ordained Local Ministry)
T: 086 3167012
Contact details for churches in Carlow Union
The present church is the third Church of Ireland church on this site. The first was built in the 17th century, the second in the early 18th century and the present building was completed in the 1830s. The church has a set of eight tubular bells which are played every Sunday. St. Croneybeg had her religious cell in the 6th century close by and St. Mary’s Abbey, which was founded in 634, was also located in the vicinity.
Address: Church Street, Carlow Town.
Eircode: R93 YW77
GPS: 52°50’13.7″N 6°55’59.8″W
Address: Haymarket, Carlow Town.
Eircode: R93 E427
GPS: 52.837395N, -6.933254W
Staplestown Church Teampall Baile an Staplóg
The church is a detached three-bay building in the Gothic Revival style. It was constructed c. 1821 with a crenelated tower with pinnacles and a spire. Renovated c. 1870 when the chancel added. There is a freestanding vaulted mausoleum on the site dated 1853
Address: Church Road, Staplestown, Co. Carlow.
GPS: 52°48’51.0″N 6°53’06.6″W
Urglin Church Teampall Iorchuilinn
A church was built here in 1659 and there is evidence to suggest that there was also an older church building previously on the site. There are views across Counties Carlow and Wicklow to Lugnaquila Mountain and down to the Blackstairs. The plaque over the door in Latin states: ‘This building in its old age being a complete ruin, was rebuilt, and its tower beautified, by the rector Thomas Brooke, a.d. 1820.’
Address: Rutland, Palatine, Co. Carlow.
Eircode: R93 TR04
GPS: 52°50’37.1″N 6°51’40.0″W
Rutland Church, Urglin
View Dioceses of Cashel, Ferns & Ossory in a larger map