The Cathedral Church of St. Edan is situated in Ferns, the ancient capital of Leinster and has strong links with St. David’s of the Church in Wales.
The Dean Writes
“Christian witness came to Ferns over 1400 years ago. St. Edan (Aidan) came to Ferns in c.600ad. There has been a “stone” church on the site since the 8th century. The original medieval cathedral was built by Bishop St. John in the 1230′s. This was burnt down in Elizabethan times and only a small portion of the ruins remain. Although Queen Elizabeth ordered it rebuilt only a section of the nave was restored. This was subsequently rebuilt again in the 1800′s.
King Dermot MacMurrough is buried close by the adjoining grave yard and adjacent to the ruins of St. Mary’s Augustinian Abbey.”
St. Edan’s Cathedral is open daily to Visitors.
Along with the cathedral in the Union there are the parishes of Ballymore, Camolin, Kilcormack and Ballycarney.
1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th Sundays
St Edan’s Cathedral, Ferns: 10.15 a.m.
(1st & 5th Sundays MP, 2nd & 4th HC, 3rd Sunday at 10.30 a.m. United Family Service HC)
1st Sunday 11.30 a.m. (HC)
(Saturday before 2nd Sunday 7.30 p.m. Evening Prayer here)
4th Sunday 9.00 a.m. (HC)
5th Sunday 9.00 a.m. (MP)
Saturday before 1st Sunday 7.30 p.m. (HC)
2nd Sunday 10.15 a.m. (MP)
4th Sunday 11.30 a.m. (HC)
5th Sunday 9.00 a.m. (HC)
No service on 1st Sunday
2nd Sunday 9.00 a.m. (HC)
4th Sunday 10.15 a.m. (MP)
Saturday before 5th Sunday, 7.30 p.m. (HC)
1st Sunday 9.00 a.m. (MP)
2nd Sunday 11.30 a.m. (HC)
Saturday before 4th Sunday 7.30 p.m. (HC)
5th Sunday 11.30 a.m. (MP)
Saturday evening services are at 7.30 p.m. October-March inclusive and at 8 p.m. from April-September inclusive
Dean: Very Rev. Paul Mooney
View Dioceses of Cashel, Ferns & Ossory in a larger map